International Student COVID support

The Gordon and The Victorian Government is committed to supporting our international students during this challenging time. We are committed to ensuring you stay informed and supported.
Don't forget to contact International Office if we can help in anyway.
Victoria's Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website provides health information and advice on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in English and multiple languages for people in Victoria.
To find out more about the current restrictions in Victoria, visit the Victorian Government’s coronavirus website
If you are in Victoria and you think you may have the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline (open 24 hours, 7 days a week) phone 1800 675 398.

Health information and advice

To ensure payment issues are not a barrier for people from overseas with symptoms of COVID-19 seeking early medical advice, Victorian hospitals will waive the costs of treatment for overseas travellers, including international students, who fall ill in Australia (and are not eligible for Medicare) and do not have adequate insurance coverage. Seeking medical treatment will not impact your student visa.
International students on a student visa can also contact your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) insurance provider for advice on your health cover and services available.

COVID-19 Vaccines

The COVID-19 vaccines are voluntary and free for everyone in Australia, this includes international students who are studying in Australia. Find COVID-19 vaccine information in your language.

International students should apply for an Individual Healthcare Identifier which will enable you to register for and book your COVID-19 vaccination. Find more information here.

Find out information about the phases of rollout of the COVID-19 vaccines

Pandemic Financial Support Payments

International students who are studying and working in Australia may be able to access financial assistance when they are:

  • required to self-isolate or are caring for someone with COVID-19 (Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment) or;
  • adversely affected by a state public health order and are required to be in lockdown for more than seven days (COVID-19 Disaster Payment).

For more information, visit the Services Australia website.
If you are experiencing financial hardship, you may be eligible for the Red Cross Extreme Hardship Support Program.
Study Melbourne continues to provide regular help and support through the dedicated COVID-19 support hub.

International students in Victoria can access other support, including:

Visit the Study Melbourne COVID-19 support for international students and Study Australia COVID-19 International Student Information for helpful advice and information during coronavirus (COVID-19).

Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders
To support the supply of certain services during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force will take a flexible approach to student visa holders, including those working beyond their usual work limitations, but only in selected sectors. For details, visit:

Working for Victoria program
If you’re legally allowed to work in Australia, you can apply for the Victorian Government’s Working for Victoria program. This includes workers who have recently lost their jobs and casuals who no longer have shifts. Find out more here.

Visa, travel, and Consular assistance
Visit The Department of Home Affairs website for updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
If you need to contact the Embassy or Consulate of your home country or need advice about returning to your home country, please contact your local Consular office. Find the location and contact information of your local Consular office by visiting the DFAT website.
Legal Advice for International Students
Study Melbourne's International Student Accommodation Legal Service offers a free, confidential and independent help for international students with accommodation issues, whether you remain in Australia or plan to return to your home country.
The International Student Legal Information is a free legal information resource is for international students living in Victoria and helps you know what to do and where to get help for problems connected to where you work, live and study. 

Wellbeing and support

If you experience feelings of anxiety, distress and concern in relation to the coronavirus (COVID-19), it’s important to ask for support. Contact International Office anytime or make appointment to speak to a Gordon student counsellor.
Other free online and phone support services

Free online resources to help you look after your mental wellbeing: 

Free Career Counselling: The Gordon’s careers services and Skills and Jobs Centre provide support for career consultation, job applications, resumes, interview skills and employment information, etc. Our CareerHub is a one-stop shop for everything career-related, including local job listings, upcoming free events and some great resources – sample resumes, online job boards and FAQs.