skip to content

Rights and responsibilities

In additional to The Student Code of Conduct, as a student at The Gordon, you have a number of rights and responsibilities you should be aware of.

ESOS, the National Code and your visa conditions 

Australia provides protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS), and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students (the National Code).

Pay fees on time
Maintain satisfactory academic progress
Maintain attendance in classes
Complete your course within time listed in your CoE
Notify The Gordon of your address within 7 days
Meet the written terms and conditions of The Gordon
Work hour restrictions
Maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your visa
Enrol dependent school-age children in school
Deferral, suspension or cancellation of enrolment
Changing courses
Changing provider

Complaints and appeals 

If you have a complaint or wish appeal a decision which affects you, you have the right to access the Gordon’s complaints and appeals process. Find out more at feedback, compliments or complaints here.

Your working rights

As an international student, despite your restricted working hours, you have the same rights to a fair and safe workplace as any other person. If you feel that you are being exploited or treated unfairly or need advice about your work rights, you can contact Fair Work Australia.    

Legal services and consumer protection

  • Barwon Community Legal Service offers free legal information, advice and referrals for clients in relation to Family Violence, Centrelink matters, Family Law, Child Support and Debt matters. BCLS supports Geelong, Bellarine Peninsula, Surfcoast and Colac Otway regions.
  • Study Melbourne offers free and confidential Work Rights Legal Service, provided by employment lawyers, to help international students
  • Victoria: Consumer Affairs Victoria provides information for international students about renting in Victoria, and general consumer rights: 

Government links and resources 

Our training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. | Authorised by the Victorian Government, Melbourne.

ABN: 27 241 053 246. | TOID: 3044 | CRICOS Provider No. 00011G | © Gordon Institute of TAFE 2014